African Dance The dancers are much more comfortable expressing grief in public through their movements. Also expressing freedom in being able to leave the music and explore the rhythmic and physical stillness. An African learns to become conscious mentally of every instrument played by the orchestra. Different parts of the body move according to the rhythms. Especially when music and dance are joined together as a sacred and holistic union. Encompassing many forms and wide varieties including ballet, jazz and modern dance. Very visually stimulating and exciting, arouse emotions. It is touch, feel and voice in motion, celebrating life.
Heviosso Dance Celebration of a new baby's birth. After the infant is born. It must stay inside of the house until the first full moon. This protects the baby from evil spirits. When the full moon finally arrives. A group known as the Donnougan People performs so it is now safe for the infant to leave the house.
African Healing Dance Connects to the center of ones body for a walk towards healing. Symbolic animal and elemental gestures are strongly used, along with shoulder articulations. The entire body surrenders into the purpose of each dance. And joy, plus passion flows once again.
- Gbegbe - A healing dance to gain vision, wisdom and strength. Comes from the Ivory Coast.
- Nago - A healing dance to reclaim ones power and domain. Also known as an Afro-Haitian warrior dance.
- Fofui - Total healing and vitalityUmoya - A healing dance to gain energy from heaven and the earth. Comes from South Africa.
- Sowu - The healing dance of life. Comes from Ewe of Ghana
South African Dance: Allows one to feel their emotions by expressing happiness, frustration, anger and longing. African artist's spiritual resources are limitless. They recognize the "blessings" of the gods for the intentions. Their holistic sense applies to stillness or silence, which are an important part of music and dance, as sound or movement. When dancers greet each other in a performance, incorporating silence as the rhythm. It is important that the silence is not broken. Because it will destroy the good will of the greeting.
- Takoe - Present the new eligible girls to the community. Right from puberty, this dance is taught.
- Nandombawa - Prayer and Thanksgiving celebration
- Agovu - To ask for admittance from the ancestral spirit world